Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Welcome!!

Welcome to the Pretty Paper Book Club:

When does the book club meet? What if I can’t come to a meeting?

We will meet the first Saturday of every month. I will post the time and place on the PP blog ahead of time each month, but the date will always be the same. We meet for dinner and then do the discussion at a coffee shop after dinner.

If you can’t come no worries, but try to let me know so I can get a head count for the restaurant, and because we are nosy.

What should I do to prepare for the meetings?

Read the book mainly. If while reading it something really stands out to you, write it down and bring it to mention at the group meeting.

What if I have not read the book, but would still like to come and hang out?

If you have not read the book, you are absolutely welcome to come and enjoy dinner with the group. At the book discussion time however, when the discussion is going on please either choose to sit at a different table and talk or sit in on the discussion and don’t chat with other members, thus causing people to be distracted.

How do we select books, can I choose a book?

We will vote on our books. Come with some selections if you have found some you are interested in reading with the group.

What are the book-selecting guidelines that I should keep in mind? Does it matter how long the book is or the subject matter it covers?

We read a book per month, so keep that in mind, when you look into the length of the book. Also, try to choose books that you will enjoy, and learn from. It is okay if they have hard-to-hear subject matter, but there should be a redemptive quality to the book. I know that many times you will not have read the book, but there are a lot of reviews on books and they help let you know the content of the books. I personally like Amazon and the reader’s reviews. Let me know if you have questions about book selection and I’ll help you through it.


What if I can’t be there for the meeting where my book is being discussed?

If we read through your book and something comes up and you are not able to attend the meeting at which we will discuss your selection, just give me some comments, questions, thoughts you had and I will deliver them to the group.

What are my responsibilities if I choose a book? What do I need to do online? What do I need to prepare for the meeting?

Help facilitate the meeting, by bringing some thought-out, open ended questions to lead the group with and, and making sure that everyone is included in the discussion time.


Who is welcome to join the group? Can I bring a friend?

We welcome new members. Any woman, of any age is welcome at anytime. This is a fun thing and every woman deserves a chance to have a break every once in a while.

Yes! Bring a friend. If the friend has not read the book, the same rules apply as for a member though, so keep that in mind if you bring ‘em.

Basic Book Club Etiquette on a book club website:

Follow basic book club etiquette during meetings.
a. Make sure you read the book before the meeting
b. Prepare your answers to Book Club questions before you arrive, providing interesting answers, thoughts and comments.
c. Allow everyone to have a chance to speak
d. Be a good listener
e. Avoid arguments (although healthy debates aren’t bad)
f. Be open to other thoughts and opinions different from your own.
g. If you don’t like the book, offer though-provoking criticism instead of simply complaining.

No comments: